The integration with Datto RMM, at the time of this article, is solely for triggering RMM commands through the Automations feature. Please note that it is not a replacement or a substitute for the CloudRadial agent. Enabling this integration will not bring devices from Datto RMM into your Infrastructure > Endpoints or Servers area.
To learn more, please refer to the sections below.
- About the Datto RMM Integration
- Understanding API User Permissions
- Generating Datto RMM API Keys
- Enabling the Datto RMM Integration in CloudRadial
About the Datto RMM Integration
When integrated with CloudRadial, the Datto RMM integration will allow CloudRadial to search for and display Devices and Components. These can be used to trigger Automations, which can be used to empower clients to self-service themselves with selected downloads and deployments of software, scripts, and more.
Understanding API User Permissions
Before generating keys, Partners should understand the flexibility of permissions in Datto RMM.
Partners will need to generate API keys through a user within Datto RMM. As a best practice, it is best to create a standalone user with API access to get the keys. However, since this may incur costs, you can also use an API key generated from any user in your system.
Note that your experience with RMM command selection will vary with user access to Component Levels. RMM components are designated security levels in Datto RMM, so the appropriate API user level is ultimately up to you as the Partner.
In short, the API user with security levels will correlate to the components that will be available to use within CloudRadial. As an example, here is a user with Basic security permissions:
Generating API keys as this user will display only the components tagged with a Basic level.
Keep this in mind as you consider which user to leverage for your API keys.
1. Generating Datto RMM API Keys
To generate an API key from Datto RMM:
- Log into the Partner Center of Datto RMM
- Select Setup > Users from the left-hand menus
- Based on the section details above, you can either create a new user OR leverage an existing user.
- To create a new user, use the Create User button at the top right of the User menu and follow the prompts to create them. Select the Create User button at the bottom to finalize your user creation.
- Once you have the user in mind with the appropriate security access to components, select them from the user list.
- Locate the API section and select the Generate API Keys button
- Be sure to take note of the following as we'll use them in CloudRadial:
- API URL
- API Key
- API Secret Key
- Use the Save User button at the bottom to finalize the key creation
2. Enabling the Datto RMM Integration in CloudRadial
Once you have the keys from Datto RMM, you'll need to enter them into CloudRadial. To do so:
- Log into CloudRadial
- Navigate to Partner > Settings
- Select Integrations from the Configuration column on the right
- Select Datto RMM from the list
- Check on the checkbox for Enable Datto RMM?
- Enter your API URL, API Key, and API Secret into the available fields
- Select Test Credentials to check the connection
- If you see a Success message at the bottom, you're good to go
- If you see a Failure, ensure that you have copied the three values properly. If you continue to run into issues, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Select Submit to save the settings
Once complete, you will be able to pull devices and components from your Datto RMM connection.